Aspiring photographer and avid community volunteer Benjamin “Ben” Perlin enjoys spending time with those in need, giving back to a great number of charity organizations around Nashville, Tennessee. In his leisure time, Benjamin Perlin enjoys sailing and enjoying the outdoors. The United States is home to many incredible sailing towns, all with their own individual character. The following are five scenic areas to enjoy:
1. Catalina Island, California. Sailors can start in Los Angeles, and ride through bays and harbors to the sea, with a wide array of different terrains for those of all experience levels. The area also offers good sailing weather year-round.
2. Key West, Florida. Even without a personal boat, visitors to this southernmost point in the contiguous United States can enjoy a tour on a giant schooner. Renting a boat can offer more freedom to see the local wildlife and enjoy the breathtaking sunsets.
3. Apostle Islands, Wisconsin. Located in Lake Superior, these islands are covered in spruce and birch trees, alongside rock formations and chilly waters. It’s best to visit from May to October, as the lake is prone to freeze in winter.
4. Camdenton, Missouri. Located in the center of the state, this town offers the Lake of the Ozarks, which is very popular with weekend boaters. It is an excellent place to fish for Largemouth bass, and features gorgeous lakefront homes and mild weather in the summer months.
5. Burlington, Vermont. This town offers great summer and winter sailing, as well as one of the largest freshwater lakes in the country. The sailing center offers rentals, as well as sailing lessons right outside of the bustling city.